Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Procrastination!!

Feeling a little sad today. I have learnt a very important lesson on not listening to the the spirit's promtping and giving in to procrastination.

I have or rather had a elderly man who lives with his family about 2 apartment from us. We have known him for 5 years now. Very kind and friendly man. He and his family are very easy to get along with. Well, about Jan this year I started to notice that he was losing alot of weight, very fast. He was in and out of the hospital for quite a while but the doctors could not find out what was the problem. So he was discharged and went back to work. All seemed well for a while. But just a month ago, his wife told me that he has been diagnosed with stomach cancer and is going through chemo. In my heart, I told myself that I have to go visit him soon. And I even told Ian to go visit him before he left for Perth. That did not work out as things just got too hectic in the end. So after Ian left, I was determined to visit him before I left for Perth. I sensed that he might not make it till we return.

The last 3 days I had been having this strong sense that I need to go see him soon. But as I have been so busy with other things, I just kept pushing it back hoping to catch him maybe the day before I leave. Well, when the kids and I returned from the office yesterday afternoon. I met him at the lift lobby. The sad thing is that he was already dead. My only consolation is that I will meet him again one day. And this was only a decision he had made just 3 days ago.

I think this is a lesson I will never forget. And like Seth always says to me, "Put first thing first". I must learn not to be so task oriented and be more willing to let life's little interruption be a natural course of my life. Sigh! A big price to pay for this lesson.

No comments: