

A Bug on a Lao Road…
I can remember the first day Cc and I rode our bikes on a Kunming road. Crossing the Kunming intersection was the third scariest day of my life. The second scariest day was when I helped dig out a 4Wdrive that was stuck in a muddy creek. Half-way through the dig I realised that there were crocodiles on the other side of the bank. I obviously lived to tell the story.
Without a doubt the scariest day of my life was my wedding day. It was much better than digging out the 4Wdrive, but on the whole it was scarier! It didn’t help that Cc was 30 mins late. I later found out that she and the bridal party were stuck behind a 10 foot gate. Anyway, the fourth scariest day of my life was the day I drove on a Lao road in Bug.
First I gotta think ‘right hand’ side of the road. Then I gotta think left hand drive steering wheel; and right hand side gear shift. And all this even before I brave the woes of Lao traffic and pot-holed roads.
ARDA has graciously loaned us the VW Bug to use as transport until we get ourselves settled. She is a1960s edition; carefully and splendidly created about the same time as I was. The bug is yellow and sounds like a small tank. As I was passed the keys, my mind flashed back to the time I was a passenger in Bug many years ago.
I was going to footy (aussie rules) with my mate Nick. He was driving. We were only 17. He drove so fast around the corner that the bug titled over on two wheels and somehow he managed to keep it from tipping over. It must have looked like something out of ‘Herbbie Rides’ again. He was turning into a right corner which meant that I was on the same side as the wheels in the air and looking down at the driver!
I snapped out of it and took the keys. I didn’t drive for two days but my buttocks was regularly in the car practising my right hand gear changes. Then one day I went down the street. The main road was jammed up with cars.You can’t avoid the main road between our place and ARDA.
You need to look out for motor bikes going down the wrong side of the road. They often do this…Then there are the cars. They don’t indicate much and are forever pushing their nose out from side streets. It all seems so confusing at the moment. The idea of ‘everyone’ merging at the same time and in the same direction is something I’ve gotta learn. The rule seems to be is the biggest vehicle wins. I’m a bit of a timid sort of a guy so I’ need to look big on the road, I think.
I’ve been driving for more than a week now and the altogether ‘merge’ thing is still the tough one. I’ve only gone down one ‘one way’ street the wrong way. I take the kids to school on my way to work. Shanae calls the Bug her ‘school bus’. I’m the bus Uncle and dad!! Yeah….I didn’t let Cc drive at first. I wanted to get the hang and then help her along.
A couple of days ago she had her first drive. She’s an amazing gal! She drove quite well. The gears crunched in second a bit, but it is a tough change. I think that’s the nature of Bug driving. My sis had a bug and her gears crunched a bit too! Long live the BUG. Please keep our driving and ‘everybody’ elses driving in prayer!!!
Oh…Cc’s just gone out in the bug for the first time by herself!
I can remember the first day Cc and I rode our bikes on a Kunming road. Crossing the Kunming intersection was the third scariest day of my life. The second scariest day was when I helped dig out a 4Wdrive that was stuck in a muddy creek. Half-way through the dig I realised that there were crocodiles on the other side of the bank. I obviously lived to tell the story.
Without a doubt the scariest day of my life was my wedding day. It was much better than digging out the 4Wdrive, but on the whole it was scarier! It didn’t help that Cc was 30 mins late. I later found out that she and the bridal party were stuck behind a 10 foot gate. Anyway, the fourth scariest day of my life was the day I drove on a Lao road in Bug.
First I gotta think ‘right hand’ side of the road. Then I gotta think left hand drive steering wheel; and right hand side gear shift. And all this even before I brave the woes of Lao traffic and pot-holed roads.
ARDA has graciously loaned us the VW Bug to use as transport until we get ourselves settled. She is a1960s edition; carefully and splendidly created about the same time as I was. The bug is yellow and sounds like a small tank. As I was passed the keys, my mind flashed back to the time I was a passenger in Bug many years ago.
I was going to footy (aussie rules) with my mate Nick. He was driving. We were only 17. He drove so fast around the corner that the bug titled over on two wheels and somehow he managed to keep it from tipping over. It must have looked like something out of ‘Herbbie Rides’ again. He was turning into a right corner which meant that I was on the same side as the wheels in the air and looking down at the driver!
I snapped out of it and took the keys. I didn’t drive for two days but my buttocks was regularly in the car practising my right hand gear changes. Then one day I went down the street. The main road was jammed up with cars.You can’t avoid the main road between our place and ARDA.
You need to look out for motor bikes going down the wrong side of the road. They often do this…Then there are the cars. They don’t indicate much and are forever pushing their nose out from side streets. It all seems so confusing at the moment. The idea of ‘everyone’ merging at the same time and in the same direction is something I’ve gotta learn. The rule seems to be is the biggest vehicle wins. I’m a bit of a timid sort of a guy so I’ need to look big on the road, I think.
I’ve been driving for more than a week now and the altogether ‘merge’ thing is still the tough one. I’ve only gone down one ‘one way’ street the wrong way. I take the kids to school on my way to work. Shanae calls the Bug her ‘school bus’. I’m the bus Uncle and dad!! Yeah….I didn’t let Cc drive at first. I wanted to get the hang and then help her along.
A couple of days ago she had her first drive. She’s an amazing gal! She drove quite well. The gears crunched in second a bit, but it is a tough change. I think that’s the nature of Bug driving. My sis had a bug and her gears crunched a bit too! Long live the BUG. Please keep our driving and ‘everybody’ elses driving in prayer!!!
Oh…Cc’s just gone out in the bug for the first time by herself!

No comments:
Post a Comment