Tuesday, October 16, 2007

journal entry Oct

Journal entry..this is a new thing for me. I won't be divulging all of me, but i thought i'd share some things I've been thinking about

I’ve been thinking a lot about starting up a refrigeration business here in Lao. I feel excited when I think about going ‘back on the tools’. The idea of ‘fixing’ fridges and air conditioners gets me excited. I must admit it scares me a little because I’ve not done worked with fridges and aircons for 20 years! The equipment has changed, although the basics are the same. Relearning, or upgrading doesn’t phase me, I’m feel ready to learn something.

Teaching English is a good job. It can and does open doors and hearts. I can build relationships through teaching English. I am doing just that. But my 'heart' isn't totally in the teaching side of it. I struggle with the motivation to teach English. I wonder if God's getting me ready to teach or doing something else. God has given me a lot of compassion that I'm not putting to 'good' use. I'm just thinking out aloud....but if I do a business with an apprentice or two, then they are with me the whole day, I could be discipling these guys all the time. That’s my passion, to win people to Christ and then disciple them to be fully devoted followers of Jesus. That’s why I’m here for. That’s what the good Lord’s called me to do.

I’ve a few questions:

Is fixing fridges and Airconditioners really what God wants me to do, or is it just exciting because it’ll get me out of teaching English?

  1. Is this enthusiasm and renewed interest from the Lord, is the Lord directing me and Cecilia down this road?
  2. How does this ‘affect’ my calling into ‘full-time’ ministry? Doing refrigeration/doing business in Lao- is this stepping away from what God’s called me to do- which is to teach and pastor people into faith?

Wed 10th Sarah

Spent some good time with Sarah yesterday…we skipped together then played cricket. We just had a good time talking about who’s she’s sitting with in school- how yukkie boys are and some school yard goss. Her love language is talking. Sarah’s friend Mona is a very good influence on her. Mona loves to talk too but when she works she ‘gets really serious’.

I caught up with Sarah’s teacher the other day. Her name is 'Shelia'. She said glowing things about Sarah’s attitude, friendliness and her social skills. She did say that she’ll be moving Sarah from Joey’s table because she talks too much with him. Joe is a ‘different’ boy. He’s no threat to the ‘girls’. Sarah said he ‘can talk to all the girls’ and they know he’s not ‘hitting’ on them. It’s amazing how some guys can do that. So now my little princess is sitting with her 'arch-enemy’ Polo- whom she calls ‘Bratthead’. That's after the Bratt Dollars- who have big heads!

Seth
Tuesdays are also my day with Seth…we looked a fridge problem last week. That was fun and we’ll prob do that on Fri of this week- im’ so excited to do mechanics with my son. Today I helped him type his ‘Lao’ assignment on my laptop. He grumbled all the way…but he did finish. He is a good student. Teacher Shalini said he’s diligent and helps other students if he can. He’s me mate. I gotta keep close and spend the time. He’ll make a good ‘mechanic’ or ‘doctor’…

Shanae was very precious this morning…she kept coming back to see if I was alright. I’ve not been well. I really appreciated her effort and sincerity.

7 comments:

JW said...

hey p. ian! sabaidee-bo?
how are you feeling?

it's always very exciting and inspiring to read your blog entries! I just managed to read Cecilia's article on raising a tweenager and I'm truly amazed at the time, love and effort you guys take to spend quality time with the kids individually. I especially love the part where Cecilia mentioned you went on a "double date" with Sarah and another father-daughter couple so they'll know how they should be treated on a date!

it's amazing to read about your damily's faithfulness and obedience to our Lord and how He uses you guys so mightily in Laos!

praying continually with you!

-june-

astral said...

I didn't know you can fix aircon and fridges! Yeah, I remember the days in Sri Lanka when you taught us how to paint, saw wood, and build beds. It was a unique way of discipleship during those days! I do think you have the gift of discipling others not just through teaching, but also imparting hands-on skills :)

anyway, it has been a twisty turny path for me in nus too. i always thought going academic might be God's plan for me, but increasingly I sense He is preparing me for the working world once i'm done with my masters. Perhaps God changes plan along the way. Problem is that I dunno where God wants me to be a good salt of the earth yet.

we gotta dig in and seek God's will further!

-jimmy-

Friends in Business said...

Junee....ha! thanks for the prayers and chatting! We do miss your beautiful smile, and fun nature. You'll always be our JUNEE>>>> Do remember about the parenting that we failing many times, loosing our temper and 'just' run out of patience...We fumbling, but hopeful parents. Do pray for Sarah's relationships with 'boys'...she's very concerned with what they think about her...normal stuff for a girl her age, but yeah...just hope her 'completeness' is in the LORD and not what people or boys say or think about her...Love yA JUNEE>>>


Jimmy...wow, thanks for the encouragement bro. Love working with my hands...treasured the SRI times a lot. I'd only wished I could done more in a practical way in Sing...I don't know if the Lord is leading me back onto the tools...but i'm open to the direction. LIke you said, sometimes His direction is so clear to us, and other times, we faulter, guess and ponder...I only imagine that He's interested in the process of us discovering our 'vocational' calling. Our daily calling is to enjoy HIm, love Him and love the people He brings our way... I'm discovering that in a whole new way...I'll blog a bit about this guy Mike Murphy- he's a mechanic and every second word is #**&^%, but as I pray for him- met him twice, can't be stop feeling God's love for Him...see ya Jim, love ya in the Lord mate.

Anonymous said...

hi p ian! its so great to see ur kids growing up and u putting in loving efforts to love, and care!!! press it in k!!!

p.s. I have been able to get into ur blog easily without having to sign in to read... u may want to check on ur security of ur blog yeah! :)

loves,
yvonne

.:gen:. said...

hi p.ian, cecilia and kids!! happy belated birthday firstly, p.ian! you seem to have lost a lot of weight but that has actually made you look lots younger than 43! thought that was an old photo of you until i realised it was recent!

also great and encouraging to hear about your updates and perseverance even though times can be so rough as a missionary family in laos. will pray that sarah's health gets better and those other prayer requests too. it is interesting to hear of your passion for refrigerators! it is definitely a good thing and might just be what you can use to enjoy serving God for many years to come!

things are okay for me here, in some ways i also feel like though i seem to be in the 'right' church and ministry here, it's just not something i feel like i really enjoy, not like back in sjsm. i've been attending an evangelical church that is very strong in teaching but very conservative in emotions! still struggling with how best to serve because i just don't feel like i'm in the right place with the right people, but not sure if this is where God wants me to be... just gotta keep praying i guess.

anyway, take care.

love lots in Christ!
gen

Friends in Business said...

Hey von, okie...sorry will sign you in. Jono said you had a good MPC! Wonderful and stay steady..no need to rush lah! Blessings friend

Friends in Business said...

Gen!! Wow...thanks for the prayers too. Cc has actually lost 'more' weight than me (like help me out here and say something about Cc ok!!!!) We are eating health stuff, lots of vegie!

It's tough when our emotions get 'cut' out...we should watch out for the 'hype' but Jesus 'wept' 'lost it in the temple'...Spiritual gifts move us in mysterious ways...it's sad when we try to box up the Lord. Keep asking the Lord what he wants you to do in that church...a change agent? Don't know gen, ask the Lord, He'll tell ya! How's the study going? How far you off from being a 'real', 'live' VET? Lots of love and God's blessings. dierdens