26th Feb, 2008 Here I am…sitting in a little French Lao café working on some Lao and wanting to journal in English. I haven’t written my thoughts all month.
I should go into the spare room each night and do half an hour several days each week. A little each day can build a great deal over the week. It helps me when I write down what I’m thinking, working through and praying for. I should do that before I go and teach at ARDA. I’ll work out my teaching week and plan it in before I go to teach.
Reading Emails before Sleeping...not a good 'thingy'
I had an argument with Cc last night just before we went to bed. We looked at an email and climbed into bed thinking about the mail…I could hear some apprehension in her voice. I was tired and wanted to sleep. I had my 6am Tue prayer meeting the next morning...
I / we got a bit frustrated with each other. Cc was adamant it was the way ahead…I was tired and rolled over and said, 'ok…I’ll talk to somebody else about it' .
Cc went off…I realised that our mistake was ‘reading an email before we sleep and then trying to ‘talk’ about it…It wasn’t good. That’s a rule that I don’t’ want to break again! No emails before we sleep.
My 'little girl' is turning a corner...
I was put in my place by Sarah a couple of weeks ago. I was in the car park of the school and I asked her to come and kiss me before she goes into school. She said very firmly, ‘dad, I’m not your little girl anymore. I don’t want to kiss and hug you in front of people.’ Ouch!!! I thought to myself, 'Like i've been giving you a bear hug and forehead kiss for the last 5 years of school life and 2 years of kindy...wat's changed today!'.
I crawled back into the car and drove slowly down the road. I never wanted to overstep my ‘father privilege' to hug my kids. I supposed I just did that...Sarah felt ‘kiddish’. In some ways I feel sad that i've lost ‘little girl’. Now I need to find my ‘teenager’ and support her in her new image of herself. Discover 'when' we can hug and how do I treat her under the watch of her friends.
Sarah went to bed the other night and said ‘night’ dad…no hug. She knew I wanted to hug her. I resisted the temptation to run in and hug her. I’ll give her the space she’s asking for. Talk about tough love!
I really enjoy sending Shanae off to kindergarten. We hold hands and walk down to her classroom. We talk rubbish and chit chat along the way...I check that she’s got everything. We put her bag in the bag basket labeled 'Shanae'. She's got one for her shoes too. Then I kneel down and tell her I love her and to have a good day. She tells me that she loves me. We do a special ‘hand wave’ and stare longingly into each other’s eyes.
When I pick her up I ‘coowee’….her ears prick up and when she finds me she runs into my arms. She’s usually riding her pushie (bike) or playing in the cubbie house with Hydie.
Going home
I’m enjoying the thought of ‘going home to Sing and Oz in June. We would have been away for 18months away. I called mum the other day. It was good to hear her voice. I love her and miss her care and concern.
I miss my immediate family and their spouses. In Singapore I miss Cc’s family and all our church friends.
4 comments:
I hear sadness Ian. But there should be pride. It's hard, but honestly, one of the best things we can do for our kids is to teach them how to get along without us. Sad for us but oh so important for them.
But I can tell, no, promise, you one thing - if you ride this phase out, she will grow into a confident young girl who will throw her arms unabashedly around you when she is older.And harbour in her heart the desire to marry a guy just like her dad:)Just don't go telling her this now!
Enjoy Shanae for now, at this age, and enjoy Sarah for the woman she is becoming. Each phase has its own joys - we just need to look for them and enjoy them as God grows our kids(& us). You are seriously, from the bottom of my heart, the best earthly dad I know.
hi dear dierdens!
Sarah looks really like a teenager now! Wow, yr kids r growing up so fast! Can´t advise abt the whole children growing up so fast issue, but I agree with Vara that its a phrase and when Sarah grows up, she´d hug u unbashfully in front of others. Love u all!
hullllo! haha guess who :D CHRIS! taggin you guys from down undah! heh, I hope this tag finds the dierden tribe well! (: been a long time since i've come this way hehe. it does look like sarah's growing up into a fine young lady; poor daddy haha =)
Dearest Vara, who is a little in front of us and Pris, who is a little behind us...and Chris, who is a bit more behind us in the family way...thanks for your encouragement, wisdom and 'hand-holding'...we need that!! I need that...thanks for your prayers words!
Post a Comment