


Shanae… ‘Dad, I’m not a mummy’
I took the kids to school today and dropped off Shanae in class as usual. When I got to work I noticed her swim bag in the back of the car…I thought, ‘ oh, if she doesn’t have that she won’t be able to swim…I'd better take to her’. I got sidetracked and never thought about it again. Until….
Until she…'told me off' for not bringing her swim bag. She told me with a sad face how she couldn’t swim!!! My heart dropped…she explained to me how she left the bag in the car. She said ‘dad, why didn’t you bring my bag to me? Then she said, “dad,I’m not a mummy’. In other words, she can’t be held responsible to remember her swim bag, that’s the role of a mummy or a daddy! I apologised profusely.
She said it to me twice through the week. She stopped saying it when I asked her if she had really forgiven me. I said if you’re forgiven me then you won’t ask me why any more. I said again that I was sorry and asked for forgiveness. She smiled and said, ‘ok, dad’.
I promised that I’d take her swimming on Friday since she lost her chance to swim at school. I made good the promise and we went to Lang Xang on Friday. It was fun. She had fun. We all had fun. I felt good about it. We finished up at Fatima, our regular Indian kitchen, and finished off with a 30 cent icecream. I redeemed the moment. It was a good come back!
2 comments:
dear dierdens. Shanae´s growing up so FAST! She´s looking more and more like Sarah. Hee. I think the comment that Shanae made was so funny! "I´m not a Mummy!" The first time I read it,I thought of "Mummy" like the Egyptian Mummy. Hahahah. Yah, I´m learning episodes of forgiveness too. My neighbours have been rubbing up my shoulders and re-opening my windows (when I close them) in the corridor (for no reason) and causing my place to be cold! Its been snowing in Germany - in March! And then I thought, we´ll post a note on the window to keep it close and will try our best to forgive them ourselves and "not talk about anymore"... same like what you asked Shanae. Love you all and looking forward to May! ** you all are SO MISSED by us! HONESTLY**, Singapore´s not the same without you all.
You funny sis...we do miss you all too! Hope you get good clean, fresh air in the future. Love to Steph hope you see you guys soon...
Post a Comment